Mission and purpose: ANN Commentaries are offered to bring understanding of issues, both of faith and of the world in which we live.
Requirements: An ANN Commentary is not a worship thought or devotional essay. Commentaries must do one of the following:
- Call for change (behavior or policy)
- Identify a trend
Please contact editor before writing so you may discuss your suggested topic. We want to make sure the work you put in writing the piece will result in a published Commentary.
Terms of Submission: Commentaries should be exclusive to Adventist News Network. Book authors: you may summarize points or submit excerpts from your recent or forthcoming book. The author will have an opportunity to review and approve final edits before publication. All materials submitted must be the author's own original work except attributed quotes.
Suggested Word Length: 400-800 words.
Tips: As you write your Commentary for submission:
- Get right to your point and keep it clear throughout (see examples: one, two). Write one sentence that summarizes the entire argument or point of the Commentary. Then begin the Commentary with that sentence.
- Remember to write for an international audience, even if you're describing a local issue.
- Please recheck all names and quotations. Use reputable sources for facts and please cite those sources to us.
- A Commentary is just text. You may include a suggested headline, but please do not include subheads, footnotes or illustrations.
- To learn what we're looking for, read op-eds (guest editorials) in major newspapers.
Again, as stated above, please contact the editor before writing in order to discuss your suggested topic.
ANN offers a $100 payment for Commentaries that are published or solicited.
The opinions expressed in ANN Commentaries are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Adventist News Network® and/or the Seventh-day Adventist® Church.