The Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America yesterday approved a recommendation from its Theology of Ordination Study Committee (TOSC) that affirms both men and women for ordination to ministry.
All of the Adventist Church’s 13 world divisions are now in the process of establishing and holding their own TOSC in response to a call from the 2010 General Conference Session to examine the theology of ordination.
North America’s TOSC’s recommendation to the division Executive Committee was:
“That we receive the Biblical study of ordination prepared by the North American Division Theology of Ordination Study Committee and affirm the conclusion that all people, men and women, may receive ordination as an affirmation of the call of God, and that the North American Division supports the authorization of each division to consider, through prayer and under the direction of the Holy Spirit, its most appropriate approach to the ordination of women to gospel ministry.”
The division’s TOSC was comprised of 14 members. The division’s executive secretary, G. Alexander Bryant, told delegates, "As we looked to staff this committee, we sought for balance and different perspectives that will represent all viewpoints of the division.”
The church in North America’s review of the committee’s report will now be given to the General Conference's Theology of Ordination Study Committee, along with the reports from the 12 other divisions. Reports from all 13 divisions will then be synthesized by the General Conference's Theology of Ordination Committee.
The following is the world church’s timeline regarding the Theology of Ordination:
- From December 2013 - June 2014 — The General Conference’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee will analyze the materials received from the divisions and prepare a combined report.
- June 2014 — Report will be reviewed by General Conference executive officers.
- June 2014 — Report will be reviewed with the President’s Executive Administrative Council (PREXAD) and the General Conference Administrative Committee (ADCOM).
- October 2014 — General Conference administration will process the report for the 2014 Annual Council.
- October 2014 — Annual Council will review the report and, if needed, take any appropriate action. If voted material needs to be placed on the 2015 General Conference Session agenda, it will be processed accordingly.
Click HERE for more information and links to NAD TOSC presentation materials.